General Manager of Logistics
We believe solar is at the forefront of the energy revolution occurring in our country and throughout the world. But solar supply chains are messy and can be a hassle for solar companies to navigate. That’s where we come in.
Founded in 2015 and based in Austin, Texas, Kinect Solar provides solutions for buying, selling, shipping, and storing solar equipment – a one-stop shop for manufacturers, distributors, developers, and installers of all sizes. Our team includes solar industry veterans who know the ins and outs of solar sales and distribution, logistics, and system design. We work behind the scenes with solar companies that need help navigating the solar supply chain so they can focus on what they do best. We operate in the United States, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
We are a small, close-knit team that moves at a fast pace. Culture at Kinect Solar is a key factor to our success, so we seek out strong, dynamic people that strive for excellence at every turn, but we also don’t forget to have fun along the way. We are proud to be a certified woman-owned, hub-certified small business.
The General Manager of Logistics is a leadership role at Kinect Solar reporting to the CEO. The General Manager of Logistics is responsible for all parts of the Logistics business unit including revenue generation, operations, finance, warehouse management, and marketing. This role is focused on the overall health and growth of the business unit with an emphasis on cross-functional collaboration with distribution, employee efficiency, and cost control.
Compensation: Salary + Goal-based Quarterly Bonus
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Austin, Texas (United States)
Travel: Occasional (5-10%)
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Working with the CEO to define and execute quarterly plans for growth and profitability.
- Managing logistics operations effectively and efficiently (i.e., customer quote requests, vendor pricing, PO process, execution of PO and final delivery to customer; creating the existing process and tweaking it regularly to improve and accurately track budget versus actual by project).
- Handling all escalations and providing damage control to create the best outcome for projects.
- Creating and managing the Logistics annual budget in detail by revenue (service offering, warehouse location) and expense categories including marketing, hiring, and special projects.
- Working alongside the finance department to manage Logistics KPIs, track budget vs. actual, and improve forecasting, create forecasts, and maintain accurate forecasting of revenue and warehouse occupancy levels.
- Creating an accurate budget for each project with pricing to customer and estimated expenses using deal analysis to improve profitability, win percentage, and forecast accuracy going forward.
- Reviewing and improving organizational effectiveness by developing processes, overseeing employees, establishing a highly motivated work environment, and creating innovative approaches for improvement.
- Working closely with marketing, finance, and sales department heads supporting Logistics business and nurturing key customer relationships.
- Creating role-specific scorecards that set individual goals and metrics for each position in the department and conducting monthly one-on-ones to check in, encourage, track progress, and correct unwanted trends.
- Identifying personnel gaps, developing and executing the hiring plan with detailed job functions, scorecard metrics, and compensation in line with industry standards.
- Nurturing key customer and vendor relationships, bringing in the CEO and Director of Sales when necessary; maintaining a close relationship with our 10 largest accounts to find opportunities to deepen relationship and revenue opportunities.
- Utilizing customer satisfaction metrics (such as Net Promoter Score and Customer Effort Score) to oversee customer feedback and ensure high satisfaction with the aim of identifying and correcting systemic weaknesses in customer interactions and operations processes.
- Growing new and existing transportation and storage vendor relationships.
- Creating performance metrics dashboards of each warehouse (volume of transactions, days in storage, number of customers, revenue by customer, price, employees, load and unload times, breakage, etc.) with the goal of being able to forecast revenue for each warehouse.
- Encouraging cross-selling between Distribution and Logistics business units.
- Preparing a detailed presentation of quarterly results for the board.
- Providing guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Working on company initiatives as directed by leadership team.
- Transferring knowledge and collaborating outside your department.
- Building positive, healthy and productive culture.
- Cultivating leadership skills.
- Presenting improvement ideas to the executive team quarterly.
- Working on initiatives directed by CEO.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of 3-5 years of general management, operations management, or logistics management experience
- Experience working with inventory and warehouse management systems
- Logistics background strongly preferred
- Energy or solar industry experience a plus
- Detail-oriented, critical thinker, proactive communicator, and proven track record of results
- Servant-leader with a desire to be part of and help build a winning team
Benefits & Perks
It’s not just about our growth, but yours as well. We offer highly competitive salary and benefits, along with a number of other perks you might not expect from a small company.
- Stock Options
- Unlimited PTO and paid holidays
- Flexible work environment and schedules
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 401(k) with employer match
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Employee discounts on hundreds of brands in our online marketplace
- Employee referral bonus for certain positions
- Rewards for SWAG on our company store
- Professional development assistance
- Commuting and travel assistance
- Pet-friendly environment (at our main office)
- Volunteer time off
- Team outings and holiday parties